Across different age groups, hair fall and thinning hair have now become common concerns. While stress, weather conditions, medications or supplements, hormonal changes, scalp treatments, and hairstyles are some of their contributing factors, in some scenarios dandruff is also believed to be one of the possible annoying causes. To know more about, can dandruff lead to baldness, read on the following information shared by Dr. Noopur Jain, Best skin specialist in Gurgaon & saket at Skinzest.
Dandruff is a familiar scalp condition characterized by flaking of the skin that causes itching, discomfort, and a negative impact on the looks of the individual. It is mainly a result of a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis, a chronic form of eczema that can affect both men and women, typically men after puberty. A person having dandruff usually spots white or yellow colored, thin flakes on the scalp that may loosen and fall onto the shoulder and clothing.
In most cases, dandruff and hair loss are not causally related to one another although they are correlated. However, in some people, dandruff can result in temporary hair loss because of damaged hair follicles and even accelerate hair thinning in people suffering from androgenetic alopecia (male/female pattern baldness). Mild dandruff usually does not lead to hair issues but if it becomes severe or is associated with other skin conditions, proper treatment by a dermatologist is a must. Furthermore, if one is planning for a hair transplant surgery he/she must be aware of the fact that dandruff can even deteriorate the results desired from hair transplant surgery. Hence, dandruff must be treated by experts to prevent hair loss and achieve the best outcome of hair restoration.
When can hair loss be caused by dandruff?
- Dandruff-associated red and irritated scalp skin: Severe cases of dandruff resulting in itching and redness of the scalp can make the patients feel the urge to scratch the scalp skin. Aggressive scratching of the scalp injures the hair follicles. It also weakens the protective skin barrier of the scalp which increases the risk of developing bacteria or fungal infections like tinea capitis (ringworm) associated with follicular damage, hence causing hair to fall in large numbers.
- Dandruff resulting from other skin conditions: In some cases, dandruff can be a secondary condition to already existing concerns like fungal infections, psoriasis, and biotin deficiency that affects the scalp. These can increase the likelihood of hair loss which is mostly temporary and reversible.
- Dandruff linked with hereditary hair loss: Androgenetic alopecia, a hair loss condition caused by relatively more androgen levels can even affect the sebaceous glands and result in an oily scalp. Further, the excess of natural skin oil on the scalp can lead to the overgrowth of a fungus, Malassezia. This fungus can irritate the scalp skin and cause more production of skin cells that eventually would die and cause dandruff. This condition can lead to more hair loss.
- Patients neglect regular head wash: Some people suffering from hair loss think that if they wash their hair frequently they may end up losing more strands of hair. However, this fear of losing hair is not right as such a practice can cause more dandruff which subsequently causes thinning hair or baldness.
How Can Hair Loss Caused By Dandruff Be Prevented And Treated?
The key to preventing or treating dandruff-related hair loss is to eliminate itching and scratching of the scalp to protect the hair follicles. Consulting the hair treatment experts in Gurgaon at Skinzest can check for signs of underlying problems like dry skin, Contact dermatitis, and Seborrheic dermatitis.
- Switch to medicated shampoos- Look for anti-dandruff shampoos having ingredients like salicylic acid, ketoc-onazole, pyrit-hione zinc, selen-ium sulfi-de, and coal tar. If you are allergic to them, go for herbal shampoos with medicinal properties for dandruff and hair loss.
- Keep the scalp skin hydrated- Dry scalp often causes dandruff and anti-dandruff shampoos can dry out the scalp if regularly used. Hence, use hair conditions and try massaging the scalp with coconut oil which has antifungal properties.
- Manage stress- Stress can over time weaken the immune system and make the scalp prone to more Malassezia growth that causes dandruff and hair loss. Deep breathing exercises, yoga, and meditation when done daily can help manage stress.
- Avoid harsh hair care- Certain hair products or hair dyes contain ingredients like sulfates, formaldehyde, bleaching agents, and other natural or artificial fragrances that irritate the scalp’s skin and lead to contact dermatitis on the scalp. So, refrain from their usage and opt for a gentle hair care regimen.
At Skinzest, to manage hair loss various treatments are offered and the advanced hair transplant in Gurgaon is also performed. To know more about dandruff treatment in detail, pay a visit today at Skinzest.