Your doctor may suggest for the cholesterol test sometimes as part of regular health check up. They suspect that patients are at risk to develop heart issues. However, most patients don’t know what cholesterol rest report means. So we are here with this blog to let you know. Start reading it now.
What is the significance of cholesterol test?
Cholesterol is fat-like waxy substance produced by liver. Actually it produces only the amount the body deems for. However, with the consumption of certain foods you get extra cholesterol which accumulates in the arteries wall as plaque. Over time it hardens down which known as atherosclerosis. As a result the arteries narrow down making it difficult for the blood circulate to and fro the heart.
Sadly but true that high cholesterol never causes any symptoms. In much later stage of atherosclerosis angina can occur. At that time you will experience excruciating pain in chest due to lack of blood flow in heart. Once the artery completely blocks it results in heart attack. That’s why it is better to have regular cholesterol test to monitor its level with the help of experienced doctor.
What this test actually measures for?
Apart from total cholesterol measurement, there is another standard test namely lipid panel. It measures 3 fat kinds separately:
- LDL (low-density lipoproteins)- It is bad cholesterol causing accumulation and deposition enhancing the heart disease risk. As low as the number it is good for health. LDL is the main culprit for causing life threatening conditions like stroke or heart attack. So you aim is to lessen its number as much as possible for the prevention against serious vascular and heart problems.
- HDL (high-density lipoproteins)- It is good cholesterol that helps in excretion of LDL to liver from blood. From there it excretes from the body. HDL is equally responsible for any unprecedented cardiovascular event. With high in number it can lessen such risk by excretion of LDL or bad cholesterol.
- Triglycerides- It is a unique fat kind in blood linked to problems in heart. Fat cells store them all over the body.
What cholesterol range refers to?
The patients who undergo lipoprotein profile doctor will check evert number with much attention. Remember, both HDL and LDL level are important for heart diseases and doctor wants to know their number. Using the marginal range they can come to know better about your heart disease risk.
Total blood cholesterol means
- High risk: 240 mg/dL and above
- Borderline high risk: 200 to 239 mg/dL
- Desirable: below 200 mg/dL
If the LDL level indicates 190 mg/dL and above then you are at high risk of heart disease! However, you can seek help from the intensive treatment along statin therapy, significant change in diet and lifestyle. All these will lower down the risk.
If the LDL level ranges less or equal to 189 mg/dL then; you have to lower down it 30%-50%. But of course it will depend on other aspects affecting blood vessels and heart health badly.
- High risk: below 40 mg/dL for male and below 50 mg/dL for female
- Very high risk: 500 mg/dL and above
- High risk: 200 to 499 mg/dL
- Borderline high risk: 150 to 199 mg/dL
- Normal: below 150 mg/dL
How to prepare for the cholesterol test?
In case of non-fasting cholesterol test, they pathologists look for total count in cholesterol along HDL numbers. For that you have to visit the lab for withdrawing of blood by the phlebotomists. On the other hand, if doctor suggests fasting cholesterol test (lipid profile) they want to check the entire level of triglycerides, LDL and HDL respectively. You need to fast for long 9-12 hours for the test.
Mostly doctor sends the patient for non-fasting cholesterol test. If anything suspicious detects then they send them back for lipid profile.
In what way doctor uses the report of cholesterol test?
Once doctor reviews the cholesterol blood test results they will consider certain triggering aspects you can have for heart problems like;
- Family history
- Level of activity
- Smoking status
- Blood pressure level
- Diabetes history
- Blood sugar level
At last the doctor shares the information on risk with you! Along they will give you advice on deriving necessary steps in diet and activity level to reap its potential benefits. By giving your certain medications they will improve the cholesterol level by lessening the overall health risk.
What is the frequency of undergoing cholesterol test?
As per National Cholesterol Education Program every adult after 20 years of age should undergo cholesterol test once in every 5 years. Patients prone to heart disease or heart attack or with similar family history must check the level frequently.
Book an appointment for cholesterol blood test in London to know your ranges.